Saturday, August 31, 2013

Israelis and Palestinians Kick Off Peace Talks By Becca Brandt

After much conflict between the two, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators met in Jerusalem on August 23, 2013 to talk peace. It was the third attempt since 2000 to talk peace; the last one being nearly five years ago. The meeting was secret, which was a decision made by both sides to maintain trust and so nothing was leaked to the media. A short video was released of the head negotiators shaking hands. After the several hour meeting, a Palestinian official said they had agreed to meet weekly. "I think what is needed is to prepare and speak and cautiously hope for partial agreements, perhaps on issues of borders and security, economic issues and the policies of the Palestinian state. But we must also prepare for dead ends and blow-ups," says Gilad Sher, a former Israeli peace negotiator. Even though everything may seem resolved between the two, they will still be aware of what is going on in the other.

I think that it is good that Israel and Palestine are at least making an effort to resolve all issues, even if they do not completely trust each other yet. I think that any sign of peacemaking is at least a good start, and who knows, it could lead to more.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/israel-strikes-rocket-launching-devices-gaza

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Becca, it is very important for countries at unease to at least begin to see into each other's eyes. With Israel and Palestine making peace efforts, maybe other countries with disagreements in their pasts can make amends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that other countries should at least attempt to solve conflicts even if they aren't resolved right away, but they should keep trying.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree. This conflict has been going on for too long. It's about time they tried to hear out the other side's requests.

      Delete
    3. I agree with all of you. I think they are setting an example for other countries in the world and these baby steps towards peace may be able to resolve this ongoing issue.

      Delete
    4. I agree with all of you. I think they are setting an example for other countries in the world and these baby steps towards peace may be able to resolve this ongoing issue.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you! I really hope for other countries this is a reality check, I hope this is the beginning of something that could really fix this world. Love this article!

    ReplyDelete