Sunday, December 7, 2014

How Ebola broke Sierra Leone's heart by M'Lynn Musgrove

In Sierra Leone, football is considered a second religion. Because of the ebola outbreaks all over the country, football has been banned. Usually on Sundays  Lumley Beach, outside the capital of Freetown, would usually be filled with thousands of people playing the national sport. Once the outbreaks began, this no longer occurred. I think its very sad. Studies show that living here is stressful mentally. Just touching a loved one could mean you are the next ebola victim. 

This makes me sad. Imagine america having to cut off football. I know my dad would be crushed along with other sports fans all over America. In Sierra Leone, they don't have much. If a sport was my only joy in the day, I would be crushed. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/sport/ebola-sierra-leone-heart-football/index.html?hpt=wo_mid

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, it's just one of the many precautions much of west Africa has taken since the ebola outbreak. Decreasing the amount of social interaction is one of the few ways to prevent spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think it's unfortunate that the media is not making these stories public; you have to search for them.

    ReplyDelete