Sunday, January 15, 2017

Ringling Brothers Circus to Close - Lauren Rothert

After over 100 years of performing, the Ringling Brothers Circus is closing. With a decline in ticket sales and high operation costs, there is not enough money to keep the circus going. It is believed that the decrease in ticket sales is in response to the removal of elephants from the show. The elephants were a large part of the show before animal rights groups began to protest against the torture the animals went through. Many are celebrating the closing of the circus, protesters have fought hard for 36 years. The Ringling Brothers Circus has tried to adapt, and change protocol due to complaints from activist, but nothing has brought in more customers. The circus is due to close in May.

I feel that the closing of the Ringling Brothers Circus is bittersweet. As a little girl my family and I went to the circus a few times, so it is a little disappointing that there will be no more performances. On the other hand, I am excited because the circus has mistreated animals for so long. These animals deserve better, and they are finally on their way to a better lifestyle. I hope other circus shows follow this trend the Ringling Brothers Circus has started, because mistreating the poor animals for a show is wrong and unhealthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/14/entertainment/ringling-circus-closing/index.html

4 comments:

  1. this sucks because i remember going to a ringling brothers show when i was little and i was fascinated by their performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the circus once when I was little and I loved it. I also know that the animals that participated were treated extremely poorly. As much as I love the circus, I also am kind of happy that the animals will be released from the mistreatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As awful as it is that the circus is closing due to all the memories it gave us, I am relieved that the animals will no longer be treated under such harsh conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the circus, that's so sad that the will no longer do shows. I never thought about the way they treated the animals until now and I think that it was a good decision to stop it.

    ReplyDelete