Thursday, April 13, 2017

Flip Flops Posing Danger by Victoria Valdez

Discarded flip flops are posing a danger to oceans and marine life.  It is estimated that 90 tons of flip flops are being discarded each year and many are ending up on the East African coast.  These flip flops are not biodegrading posing a big risk to fish and turtles.  A conservation group, Ocean Sole, are recycling the flip flops into colorful sculptures and works of art.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/africa/flip-flops-pollution-ocean-sole/index.html


It is crazy that this is a problem.  I don't understand how flip flops are ending up in the ocean.  Aren't they thrown away into a landfill with other trash?  Thankfully there are groups like Ocean Sole that are finding creative solutions to the world's problems.

4 comments:

  1. I never thought there could be a problem like this, let alone put animals at risk. It's great how their are groups that solve these problems and help clean and protect the environment. I didn't think anything as simple as flip-flops could pose for such a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy, I never would have thought flip flops could pose a threat. I love the idea that the conservation group has come up with, I hope others join in on their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had no idea flip flops could be harmful. I love the ocean and sea life and pollution and littering is not helping their environment, so I'm glad a solution was made to fix this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a good solution would be to make biodegradable flip flops?

    ReplyDelete