Sunday, April 23, 2017

Jessica Ball Current Events 4/23/17


Current Events: Asma Assad UK Citizenship
  Bashar al-Assad’s wife, Asma Assad is UK born and has a U.K. citizenship, but British lawmakers are threatening to strip it from her if she does not stop backing her husband’s murderous regime. Asma has been using her social media platform to support his regime. Nadhim Zahawi, a member of the Conservative Ruling Party who has a dual citizenship in Syria and the U.K. said that Bashar has crossed the line poising his own people with a nerve agent gas so she needs to make up her mind on whether she wants to keep her citizenship, or support him.

   If I were her I would quit using social media to support him because what he is doing is terrible, and the U.K. has been experiencing a large amount of terrorism lately so I understand why lawmakers are wanting to take away her citizenship. I can see how this is a difficult decision though because if she doesn't support him, he may try to punish her in some way. I do agree that the U.K. should take away her citizenship if she doesn't decide to stop soon.

3 comments:

  1. Under these circumstances, I feel it is justifiable for the U.K. to take away her citizenship. They're just trying to prevent problems within their communities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it is understandable for her citizenship to be taken away so that it doesnt get worse before it gets better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and think it is OK for the UK to take away the citizenship.

    ReplyDelete