Monday, October 27, 2014

14 year old Homecoming prince Jaylen Fryberg, the lone shooter. -Natalia Hernandez


Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/shooting-reported-marysville-pilchuck-high-school-washington-article-1.1986184#
Jaylen Freyberg, who came from a prominent Tulalip Indian tribe family, who was identified by his peers at Marysville-Pilchuck High School as as friendly and well-liked, pulled out a gun at 10:30 in the morning at his school's cafeteria and began shooting. He killed one person, and then shot himself. The slain girl's name was not disclosed, but four more were wounded gravely, two girls and two boys, among them his cousins, and police say that after further investigation it was discovered that he was fond of hunting and fire arms. It is also suggested that the four wounded kids were targeted, because of seething, angry twitter posts such as “Your gonna piss me off... And then some s---- gonna go down and I don’t think you’ll like it...” and this went for months.  On Tuesday: “It breaks me... It actually does... I know it seems like I’m sweating it off ... But I’m not.. And I never will be able to...” and on Thursday, the day before the shooting, he wrote: “It won’t last.... It’ll never last....” Megan Silberberger, a first year teacher stopped him while he was re-loadng, and she became a hero in that moment, but Jaylen had enough time to shoot himself. 

Analysis:
Aside from the shock I received when I learned that the shooter was a 14 year old, I was completely devastated knowing that he would do such thing to his own cousins and friends. If he never appeared to have a mental illness, why? What could possibly amount to the lives of others, what could cause such malign intent that could cause his love for his cousins to be overwhelmed by other seething emotions? The most I can imagine is that he was insane, and that he had no knowledge on what was right and wrong at the moment. But was he really insane? I revile any person who would shoot children, but I feel more sad than angry.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it surprised me too when I heard about such a terrifying situation caused by a 14-year old. Schools need to be more pre cautious about violence and weapons entering, or even near, the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this kn the news. But i agree with belle about schools being more cautious about what kids bring into school . I feel like every school should have to go through metal detectors for this very reason

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gravely devastating. Many teens don't take others into consideration. Bullying has definitely evolved from name calling and humiliating photos to fights and "slugs" and backstabbing. Social media is definitely going to have to go through some changes in order to get it to be safe, fun, and friendly.

    ReplyDelete