Monday, February 11, 2013

A Rebel With a Golden Voice -Hadassah Lai

Israel's own rendition of the Voice had made many newspaper's front page. A 16-year old Israeli school girl, Ben Sheetrit, had entered the competition against her school and religion's restrictions. Her Jewish religion did not allow her to sing publicly, considering it immoral. Sheetrit, however, went against her beliefs and still auditioned for the talent seeking reality show. When she opened her mouth and sang, the four judges almost immediately pressed their buttons and spun their chair around signaling their approval.

I admire Ben Sheetrit for her guts and courage. I would not be able to do this, knowing a lot of people will despise me. I am rooting for her to win and wish her all the best.

Source: http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/123818/an-orthodox-star-is-born

4 comments:

  1. Amaria Stern
    I'm sure Mrs. Countryman would love to hear about this example of "cultural diffusion"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring. She is going against her culture, and is being criticized by many, but it is all to fulfill her dream. I hope she succeeds, and is recognized for her bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, this girl is such an inspiration to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would a religion not allow singing? I am glad she did it.

    ReplyDelete