Sunday, February 24, 2013

Life in South African's Prisons by Lashaun Morgan

Summary: Imagine sharing a single bed with two or three people. Being on lock-down for 23 hours with no food or water, while your stuffed in crowded cell with at least 40 people. This is the life that awaits Oscar Pistorius a man that is going into trial for the death of his girlfriend. South African prisons are most of the time over crowded and has bad sanitation. Some people have to sleep on the floor and earn a bed with two other people. Many people believe Pistorius should get special treatment since he is a track star. Others believe he should suffer like the rest of them. While some people think that they should improve prisons all together. Then other people believe that this is a good system let them suffer and that all prisons should be like that.

Source:http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/world/africa/south-africa-prison-conditions/index.html?hpt=iaf_t3

(Oscar Pistorius)
Oscar Pistorius enters court on the second day of his bail hearing at Pretoria Magistrates Court on Wednesday.


Analysis: This article was written to make you feel sympathetic for the South African prison system. I know I do I think its horrible for people to be living in those kind of conditions. No matter what they did I would never wish someone to live in that life style. I have to agree on the same treatment for Oscar though. Yes he is a big star, but he did a crime and he is human like the rest of us. This article was written by the CNN staff which I look at, and get most of my articles from. I like the articles they write and agree most of time with their opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think they'll ever put Oscar Pistorius in that kind of situation. It reminds me of Lance Armstrong, we never want to believe that he did anything wrong. The same is with Pistorius. He accomplished something amazing, and, we briefly saw him as an inspiration. Right or wrong, he is going to get special treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amaria Stern
    I don't think even prisoners should have to be held in that environment, but as long as they do, all prisoners should be treated the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always hard to have some one famous go to jail but I really do think he should be treated like anyone else being put on trial.

    ReplyDelete