Monday, February 18, 2013

Saudi Women Arrested At Protest by Corsica Steding

Many women and a few children were arrested last Saturday due to demonstrations in Saudi Arabia.  These people involved in the demonstrations want their relatives to be freed from jail or at least be given access to lawyers and trials.  They say that their relatives have been unfairly held in jail for years.  There was an amateur video taken at a demonstration that shows women chanting, "The people call for the liberation of the prisons."  The police told the women that were arrested that they would be released if they signed a piece of paper saying that they would show up to any government office if asked to do so, but the women refused.

Mohammed Jamjoom wrote this article for CNN on February 10th.  Before reading this article I was aware that Saudi Arabia had some issues, but I hadn't heard of any specific incidences.  This article was written to inform people all around the world of what is going on in Saudi Arabia right now.  I think that it is very unfair that people are being held without access to lawyers or even a trial, and that they have been taken away from their families for such a long period of time.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/09/world/meast/saudi-arabia-protests/index.html

1 comment:

  1. I wonder why the relatives were in jail. If I knew the reason, then it would be helpful for me to decide whether I think it is fair or not. However, I do think it is awful that no trials are being given the the people in jail. That isn't fair. The relatives should be able to at lease give them their side of the story. I hope that this issue is resolved soon and that a trial is allowed soon.

    ReplyDelete