Thursday, January 23, 2014

Rabbit ears by Becca Hodge

The statue of the late Nelson Mandela was revealed on December 6th, one day after he was buried. The sculptures carved a rabbit into Mandela's right ear after being denied of carving their names into his pants. People took this offensively, saying that it ruined the statue and the remembrance of Nelson Mandela. The sculptures apologized, commenting that they never meant for it to offend anyone. We do not know when it will be removed.
Im sorry I find this really funny. I totally agree with both sides of this argument but it still is funny. The sculptures were basically just like "we don't get our names on here? we are going to put a rabbit in his ear for pay back." Another part of this story that I loved is that one spokesperson said "We doing think its appropriate because Nelson Mandela never had a rabbit on his ear." well no duh! Nelson Mandela didn't just walk around with a rabbit in his ear. Think people!

3 comments:

  1. *intense applause* bravo, bravo artists. As an artist myself, I wish they were allowed to put their names on his shoes or pants or whereever they wanted to sign it. Its their right as the creators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is just, I think that they should have been allowed to put their names on it but maybe in more un noticeable place, and why a rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. I feel bad for the artists, and they should definitely get some kind of recognition for what they did.

    ReplyDelete