Saturday, February 8, 2014

Africa's Stereotypes Addressed by Kera mickus

So, looking for current events,  I came across a rather unusual thing (at least in my point of view) about stereotypes and such about continents and "countries". Just being honest, I, myself, do often mistake Africa as a country sometimes, and I know that many fellow Americans do the same. I found a report on a organization of Africans and African Americans who, in their frustration of stereotypically being from a country "filled with diseases" and in "dire needs of help from Americans", decided to raise a campaign of awareness. Not Susan G. Komen awareness, but a fact/myth, hear the truth about Africa kind of awareness. I actually loved the idea of this, and it turns out that most of my conceptualizations of Africa were actually false. An example: "Do you speak African?" Or, "What is Africa's flag?". Not only does does Africa have more than 50 countries (meaning more than 50 flags), it has over 2000 languages, and all uniquely different. In the campaign each student of the African Students Association of New York's Ithaca College  took a picture and wrote a quote over it, each addressing an offensively stereotypical thought outsiders had.
Report by Teo Kermeliotis, of CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/07/world/africa/africa-is-not-a-country-campaign/index.html?hpt=wo_t2

1 comment:

  1. Wow I glad that this is happening, before this year I did this too, these stereotypes need to be fixed for people who don't have as great of geography teacher as us

    ReplyDelete