Sunday, November 2, 2014

"Ebola threatens chocolate" by Tashina Amiro

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/ebola-chocolate-industry-africa-effects-111809.html

Chocolate is a major product in America; if you don't believe me, think back to a couple of days ago, aka Halloween. The amount of chocolate given out on Halloween and bought in preparation for it is crazy. Besides that, think of any other holiday or common day; chocolate is big. Recently, Ivory Coast, or the worlds largest producer of cocoa (about 33%, shut down borders with Liberia and Guinea. This was done because these places have had tons of Ebola cases. Due to the borders being shut down in Liberia and Guine, the company has lost about 15% of its supply for cocoa. Due to all this the market has been affected and the prices of chocolate have gone up a decent amount.

I don't know about you, but I need my chocolate. The fact that Ebola is now affecting my life directly makes me mad that things aren't as under control as they should be. There's not much more that I can say or do than wait and take precaution. Hopefully Ivory Coast will be able to find another place to supply them with cocoa. 

3 comments:

  1. I am in total agreement with you Shina. However i am glad that they are taking precautions cause America had a serious uproar over a couple of cases but if its getting to our food that could be very deadly. I hope this can get resolved and America can get back its necessity. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, chocolate is important and it sucks they had to stop production. But we shouldn't be thinking about chocolate over other peoples' lives! This shouldn't be a major concern when people in places like Liberia and Guine are dying of Ebola. Hopefully efforts to cure Ebola will strengthen so that this disease will die out and lives and chocolate will be saved

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you guys. As much as I love my chocolate, I won't eat as much if that is the sacrifice that I have to make to not get ebola.

    ReplyDelete