Thursday, November 20, 2014

Edible tableware by Vern Blossfeld

Summary: Do you ever feel guilty throwing away a plastic tray of lunch food, or a Styrofoam cup? The lives of these tableware items are short-lived and wasteful. In Hekinan, a Japanese fishing town, a small family business is offering a greener alternative. Sakakibara Katsuhiko is the innovator of this great invention, known as edible tableware. The future of this invention? Sakakibara Katsuhiko says, "Japan will host the Tokyo Olympic Games in six years' time, and I want to provide edible plates for the Games (in 2020)."
Analysis: This is really cool! Whenever I hear about inventions like this my reaction is to think "Why didn't I think of that?". Throwing away plastic cups and plates always comes with a guilty feeling, but if you're able to eat the plate after you're done with the meal that would be the end of it! I guess the only issue is the plate getting dirty at the bottom or something, where it's touching the table. I suppose you could put a napkin underneath it so it wouldn't make contact with the tabletop. I hope this edible tableware idea is spread throughout the world to cut down on waste!
Source: http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/11/10/business/edible-tableware-japan-marushige-seika/index.html 

1 comment:

  1. I started out thinking that this would be great because I wouldn't have to wash dishes, but its true that it is a huge waste-generator, most times we keep and re use plastic tableware. This could be a great innovation!

    ReplyDelete