Sunday, September 25, 2016

Grace Biltz - Week 5 Post

Over 2,000 years ago, a ship sank off the coast of Greece near the island of Antikythera in the Aegean Sea. The "Antikythera shipwreck" is the longest ancient shipwreck ever discovered. Sponge divers first found the wreck in 1900 and since then a huge amount of artifacts have been recovered. They include glassware, jewelry, statues, and weapons and the Antikythera Mechanism (used to predict celestial events).

In August, researchers had an "incredible" discovery. They recovered a partial skull, teeth, arm, leg and rib bones from the shipwreck. The researchers believe that it is the skeleton of a passenger or crew member that was trapped in the ship when it sank. Through DNA testing, they will be able to determine the skeleton's gender and ethnicity.

The discovery of these bones along with all the other artifacts will provide insight into the day to day lives and culture of people from 2,000 years ago. I believe this is important for our understanding of the history about this shipwreck.




Source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/human-skeleton-dating-back-2000-years-found-on-famed-shipwreck_us_57e00fa0e4b0071a6e087f81?

5 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Makes me wonder about other objects that are yet to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Makes me wonder about other objects that are yet to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be fascinating if there was some sort of museum exhibit that would include the findings from this wreck. I'm looking forward to see the further discoveries that will be unveiled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting, I wonder what other things might be in the ship. I agree with Jessica, A museum containing the artifacts would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's super interesting to me to learn about a piece of history that has lasted this long at the bottom of the ocean and I love to reenact the ship sinking in my head.

    ReplyDelete