Monday, September 26, 2016

More than 1/3 of VA calls to suicide hotline aren't answered, Amy Mills

From recent investigations, more than a third of veteran suicide calls aren't answered. Greg Hughes, the director of the suicide hotline, said, "Some hotline workers can't handle more than 5 calls a day and leave before their shifts end." He also stated that "[The staff] spend very little time on the phone or engaged in assigned productive activity." This is understandable, but statistics have shown that around 20 veterans commit suicide everyday.


I understand that it might be hard to work for a suicide hotline because I think it would be terrible for people to call you, begging for help, pleading for you to save their lives. On the other hand, suicide is a very serious problem among veterans (or anyone), and we need all the help we can get to save people.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBwFgEJ?m=en-us

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree, suicide is a very very serious problem and I don't think people take it seriously enough. I understand the hotline workers are put under a lot of pressure to save someones life, but it is not okay to leave before your shift is over. Just one extra minute of standby can save a person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree... they have a great responsibility with peoples' lives in their hands. I can tell that it puts a lot of stress and pressure on the workers. But there is only so many of the workers and they can only do so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that they should hire more skilled workers. Maybe they could spend more money hiring people that are suited for this kind of work. I'm sure there are counselors that find purpose in helping suicidal individuals and could be more effective in handling these calls.

    ReplyDelete