Monday, November 19, 2012

Saving Trees With Smartphones by Corsica Steding

In Britain, ash dieback disease is threatening the ash trees.  This disease is spread via fungal spores carried by the wind.  Environmentalists have come up with a way that people can help stop the spread of this disease.  "AshTag" is an app that was created to help people report possible trees with the disease and their location using their smartphones.  This app is downloaded 10,000 times a week.  If people don't have smartphones, they can also use their computer.

Nic Robertson and Tim Hume wrote this article for CNN on November 16th.  Before reading this article, I knew that trees could die of various diseases.  What I didn't know was that some of these diseases are very contagious and could seriously harm other trees.  This article was written to tell people that they could help save trees with their smartphones.  I think that it's great that everyone has the capability to help save the trees in Britain from ash dieback disease.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/16/world/europe/ashtag-dieback-forest-fears/index.html

4 comments:

  1. I think it is great there finding a way to make technology and nature come together. Without either being hurt by the other

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with her. I think its pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so cool its amazing what you can do with smartphones! who knew they could save trees from disease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so amazing that smart phones are now being used for something good, that will help the environment. I had never even heard of this disease before reading this article. I guess I had never paid much attention. I wonder how many trees have died from this disease because that's just horrible. Now imagine how many trees will be saved, and I hope this app is downloaded by everyone.

    ReplyDelete