Monday, December 16, 2013

French president skipping Sochi Olympics by Katelyn McLane

French President Francois Hollande has decided he's not attending the Sochi Olympics in Russia. At the London Olympics, eighty presidents, kings, queens, and other world leaders were reported to have attended. It doesn't look as if there will be as many this year. The French hope that the Olympics will be a success, but say that there probably won't be any high officials attending. They refused to explain their reasons further, like the Germans just a week before. Russia has been getting lots of complaints about alleged human rights violations, harassment of opposition political figures, and a new law banning "gay propaganda."

I think it's unfortunate that Russia, being the host country, isn't getting as much appreciation as past hosts. I also think, however, that whatever reason all these leaders have for not attending must be something major, and I'm really curious as to what it is. I hope none of this hate and possible discrimination influences the Olympics, though. I'm looking forward to them, and I really don't want any political drama ruining the Games for me. I hope the countries can work out their differences eventually.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/15/world/europe/france-sochi-olympics/index.html?hpt=ieu_c2

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, that there must be a reason as to why all of these important people aren't going. I know Russia has had quite a few problems, so this may be one of them.

    ReplyDelete