Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Facebook Rights a Wrong by Zoey Crummey

On 8:22 AM on Sunday, Jamie Virkler posted on Facebook about her brother's bad day at work, hoping she would get a couple words of encouragement. Her brother has Asberger's, and was yelled at while working at the cash register for being too slow. He was very hurt over the  incident, and couldn't get over it even later that day. When the post went up, the comment began flooding in. Thousands of people left encouraging words and the post even got 100,000 likes. Chris, the brother, has been very pleased and encouraged. 

I think that this is so wonderful. The fact that Facebook has helped one man so much is encouraging. Usually social media is used negatively, or can beat someone down in cases if cyber yelling;however, this was a positive use. I think our world needs to see more events like this and less depressing ones where people get hurt. I am very happy for Chris and glad that this has helped him though a rough patch. 

http://shine.yahoo.com/ellen-good-news/rude-customer-turns-grocery-cashier-into-social-media-hero-221001654.html?vp=1

3 comments:

  1. I agree - Facebook can actually be a great thing, but it just gets a bad reputation. A similar thing happened at my school last year. One of my classmates unexpectedly passed away, but tons and tons of messages were sent to his Facebook account by people, including me, saying how much he'd be missed, how sad this was, and just how wonderful he was and what a good life he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That boss really needs to learn how to be nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sweet, and I'm glad that he is feeling better about his day at work. I hope he gets a better job where he is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete