Sunday, November 17, 2013

To keep or not to keep? By Madelyn Winkelman

In March 2012 over 1,400 paintings where discovered in Cornelius Gurlitts apartment during a routine tax inspection. The paintings look to be the works of Marc Chagall, Pallo Picasso, Matisse, Otto Dix, and Max Liebermann. Many Jewish families and museums want to obtain the paintings, but Gurlitts is persistent in his wishes to keep them. The paintings have been taken out of Gurlitts possession though as investigations are going on and their location is unknown to Gurlitt and the public.

I don't really have an opinion on this, I can honestly sympathize from both parties points of view. I can understand that the families that know certain paintings are theirs would want them back, but I don't see why the threat of imprisoning Gurlitt should be around. Its not like he is the one who stole the paintings and kept them hidden away, he inherited them through his family and felt entitled to keep them or sell them. But I will probably keep up with the investigations as they go on to see if I can find a side to support.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24977814

1 comment: