Monday, October 31, 2016

Cell Phones Keeping Teens Awake by Victoria Valdez

Using cell phones, tablets and computers at night are keeping teens awake and unable to sleep.  Research shows that using these items before bed interrupts sleep time and sleep quality.  It appears that the light and sounds may be too stimulating resulting in daytime fatigue.  The light may also affect the internal clock of teens and delay the release of melatonin which disrupts the sleep cycle.  Limiting technology is essential for a good nights rest.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/31/health/kids-sleep-screens-tech/

I am guilty of using a cell phone right before going to sleep.  I do believe that this research is onto something and quite possibly it would be of a benefit to not use electronics right before bedtime.  It is a hard thing to do but will probably be well worth it.

4 comments:

  1. I actually heard abt this around a year ago and since then my parents haven't let me use my phone/computer within and hour of when I go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not tryibg to be a stuborn milennial, but everything has adverse affect on sleep. Reading a book before sleep can trigger strong emotions that keep you up. Logan Mook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Logan, I've fallen asleep while on the phone, but books have kept me up for hours, crying over fictional characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing. Right as I close my eyes, I either get a text, or I think of something that I just have to look up. Hopefully in the future, teens will learn to control the urge to check their phone every second.

    ReplyDelete