Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Abortion Legalized in Uruguay by: Rachel Devine


          The senate of the small South American nation of Uruguay recently passed a bill legalizing abortion. President Jose Mujica’s signature on the bill has made Uruguay the second nation in Latin America where abortion is legal. The bill allows a woman to only get an abortion within the first trimester of her pregnancy. Uruguay will join Cuba as the only two Latin American countries where abortion is legal (other than if the woman is raped or had incest and her life is in danger.) This bill has caused much controversy.

          I support the bill because I think the mother should have a choice of whether she wants an abortion or not. Being a woman, if I had an unwanted pregnancy, I would like the option of having an abortion. Although it is a controversial topic, I do believe it’s important for them to have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment