Monday, October 28, 2013

Banksy: Vandal or Not? by Anna Pickett

     Banksy has been releasing new pieces of art in New York City each day this month. Banksy is a widely acclaimed street artist. He creates many different kinds of art, ranging from 2-D paintings to sculptures, from "travelling installations" to "performance art." On Wednesday, Banksy posted on his website that "Today's art has been canceled due to police activity." A week ago, the mayor of New York City stated that Banksy could be breaking the law with his art. An NYPD officer said that they haven't launched an investigation against Banksy because no one has called in to complain about his art.
     I really like Banksy's art. I don't think he's a vandal at all. He makes an artistic statement with his graffiti instead of just painting swear words everywhere. His work is selling for lots of money at auctions, so, clearly, people appreciate his work. It is possible that he might be breaking the law, but even if it is against the law, I know that people love his art anyway. Source

4 comments:

  1. I think its dumb that people are trying to get Banksy in trouble. He is an amazing artist that is known for his work in New York City, and does not damage property. He only makes it more interesting. It technically is illegal, but if nobody complains then who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his work! I see it on instagram sometimes and I wish I was able to do things like him! I can understand why police would want him to stop if it was trashy squiggles and bubble letters,but his graffiti can honestly be considered art and I hope he keeps it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a freaking artist! Even high class people enjoy art.. And i mean, "Banksy could be breaking the law" isn't even comprehendable, of all people. Poeple need to think about the real threat; murders and rapists. I thought laws were created to protect us and enforce us, not disable us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the police and Banksy can come to an agreement about this situation. I don't see how his work could be harmful to anyone or anything at all, especially since people enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete