Sunday, October 13, 2013

Google ads by Bette Rathjen

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/tech/social-media/google-plus-ads-profiles/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Apparently, google can now use your photos on any ad. In their new terms and conditions it stated that on November 11 they can start using your face anywhere. I don't know about you, but I just clicked the "OK" button and went on with whatever I was doing at the time. I didn't want to read that entire thing but as it turns out it was trying to tell me that if I have any google account with a picture they could use it in an ad. There is a way to fix this though. If you go to your settings you can tell it not to use any of your accounts. Google  is doing this because they believe that if you see a friend in an ad you will want the product more. I think this entire thing is extremely creepy and I don't think they should just take peoples faces without them even knowing. It is really good that people ahead of time can say no, but what if you are ok with it and then your face ends up on an innapropriate ad. Its just creepy.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a huge invasion of privacy and if google wanted to do this they should have made it more clear to the people whose picture there using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that is kind of creepy and I, like you, never usually read those things, so this article is kind of saving me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google is very creepy in general! I can;t believe they'll be able to use peoples faces on their ads-thats really creepy. And the argument that people will want to buy a product because they see their friend is just ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete