Monday, September 23, 2013

Hazing at Cornell

The entire men's lacrosse program at Cornell has been suspended this fall for a horrible hazing event that involved tying freshman together and forcing them to drink beer. "It's a team wide penalty for a team-wide incident." says John Carberry, a Cornell spokesman. The team will have to take anti-hazing classes and workshops. As you can see, hazing is taken very seriously at Cornell after a tragic incident occurred where a young man died while being hazed in 2011. 

I think that it's great this is being taken so seriously, and I'm shocked that this kind of thing would happen. You would think that once the players heard about the boy who died being hazed that they would learn, but I guess not. It's a sad story and I'm glad that the team is being punished. Issues like this should be taken more seriously worldwide. 

3 comments:

  1. Hazing is awful, because it's dangerous most of the time. I don't know why people think harming someone is fun, but I'm glad Cornell is taking this seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that some groups have like a "group test", but when it involves directly being harmed, that should be common sense that you wouldn't do that. I mean, what does the phrase "Boys will be boys" or "Girls will be girls" stop at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what hazing is, but im guessing it has something to do with those stupid initiation things

    ReplyDelete