Sunday, September 15, 2013

Kiyanna Elliott How secure is your iPhone 5S fingerprint?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/tech/mobile/iphone-fingerprint-privacy/index.html

Since the iPhone 5S has announced the fingerprint technology, alot of people have had concern over how safe the finger print sensor on the home button will be. Some of the concerns include whether Apple, with millions of fingerprints, will turn them over to the NSA if ordered to. Apple says that the fingerprints will be safely encrypted and stored in the new processor of the phone instead of it being stored in iCloud. Another concern is whether hackers will be able to get ahold of fingerprints. We leave fingerprint on everything we touch and with that hackers could lift the prints and use them to get access to your phone. Apple says their print system is more sophisticated than older fingerprint technology making it harder to hack. Another vulnerability is that you can use you fingerprint to purchase thing on iTunes or the App Store. This could lead to a potential for hijacking user accounts, if hackers can figure a way around it.

Personally, I would be skeptical. It is a new technology and so many things could go wrong. All I will say is that if I were to get an iPhone 5S, I would try it until I hear numerous reports saying people had their phones hacked.

7 comments:

  1. I disagree with everyone, and I believe that the new system is safe. But I do agree that many things could go wrong. Phone screens can get smudged, and fingerprints can be read incorrectly. Also, what if a friend borrows your phone but can't access it? I think having a password is still best, and aren't surprised how people can be unsure about advances it technology, since it's a step out of everyone's comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. iPhone 5s have passcodes on them while having the fingerprint technology, so your friend can get in without your fingerprint.

      Delete
  2. I would be skeptical as well, although I would hope the government wouldn't be doing this to hack into our phone. I'm personally excited on trying this new and improved technology, so I would give this phone a try until I hear something negative about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would wait for them to get the bugs out before I make the only way to unlock my phone my fingerprint. What if it doesn't recognize it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think this is interesting because I'm interested to hear about new technology. Although the hacking does sound a bit scary, there are many other issues with technology and I do not think it is that big of a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this reminds me of the time one company created a face recognition lock for phones, but it wouldn't work on people who had skin darker than tan. I also saw that video of the little boy who cried when the iOS7 came out, and the one where a cat opened the phone thru the fingerprint scanner. If a cat could accesses my phone, i dont think i would get a fingerprint scanner

    ReplyDelete