Sunday, September 29, 2013

Same-sex Marriage Allowed in New Jersey by: Shadden Hashem

               A state judge ruled Friday that same-sex couples must be allowed to marry in New Jersey, arguing that since the state already allows gay couples, it is illegal to prevent them from getting federal benefits. The judge ordered that same-sex marriages be allowed starting October 21. "It's an amazingly strong decision. We're very excited,"  said Troy Stevenson the executive director of the Garden State Equality group, "We've been saying for months that we were going to win marriage equality for New Jersey, and this was a total victory."  New Jersey is one of four states that offer civil unions, but not marriage to same-sex couples. Colorado, Hawaii and Illinois are the other states that follow this. Same-sex marriage is legal in 13 U.S states and the District of Columbia as well: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. 
               I think it's great that New Jersey finally allowed same-sex marriage. I'm really happy with the judge's decision and standing up for citizens. I wish more states would follow New Jersey's example and do what I believe is the right thing to do in allowing people to marry who they want.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/us/new-jersey-same-sex-marriage/index.html?hpt=us_c2

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad more states are opening up to same sex marriage. I can't wait until all the states are equal on this. Hopefully Texas will be next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why some people can't accept people loving whomever they want, but I'm thrilled that the world seems to be getting closer and closer to accepting everyone for who they are and who they love. I also hope Texas will be next to make this decision; it would make me much prouder to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that more states and countries are opening up to same sex marriage. I hope this continues and more and more states and countries accept people for who they are and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that people are opening up their minds to realize that everyone should be able to love who they want to love. I hope more states legalize same-sex marriage, and I hope Texas will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete