Monday, September 23, 2013

Meggie Hunt: Jane Austen ring bought back from Kelly Clarkson

Recently, a British museum was able to buy back a ring from from Kelly Clarkson that once belonged to Jane Austen. They purchased it on the grounds that the ring was "so closely connected with [Britain's] history and national life that its departure would be a misfortune." according to UK Culture Minister Ed Vaizey. The museum was able to buy bak the ring after fundraising enough money mostly due to a anonymous donor who pledged 100,000 dollars almost as soon as the donating started
I wanted to distract myself from the horror in kenya and thought this story was adequate. As a fan of Austen myself, I can understand why Clarkson would have wanted to keep the ring but all the same I do believe that the people had more of a right to see it on public display.

No comments:

Post a Comment